Wilton Street runs between Upper Belgrave Street and Grosvenor Place.
‘Grey de Wilton’ was a family name of the Wilton family. The first Marquess of Westminster married into the Wilton family in 1794 when he married Lady Eleanor Edgington. Lady Eleanor was the daughter of the first Earl of Wilton.
It consists mainly of substantial four-storey houses with basements, with brick above stuccoed ground floors. Wilton Lodge on the northern side stands out with an attractive flower display at the front.
Facing it, No. 16A is also very elegant, with a very tall window, and a pediment on the roof on which stands a carved white eagle. Dorset Mews is a private gated modern mews development on the south side of Walton Street.
Wilton Street was started before some of the neighbouring streets. Work on houses in the street began as early as 1813. Many of the houses were constructed by Cubitt but Nos. 16-23 are by Seth Smith.
Henry Gray (1827-1861), Anatomist, lived at No. 8.